Strategy and Operations
Midstream, Downstream, UpstreamUnited States, Europe, Canada, Asia, South America
1. What is your profession? Or if you are retired, what was your profession?
2. What are your areas of expertise?
Midstream: Corporate Development and Operations
Downstream: Retail and Refining, Corporate Development, Commercial
Upstream: Reservoir Engineering, Asset Management, Technology, Corporate Development, Commercial
3. Current Employer:
4. Previous Employers:
TechnipFMC, Booz Allen Hamilton, ARCO Oil & Gas
5. How did you end up in the Energy Industry?
My parents pushed me into pre-med but I hated it, so I was desperate for another major that would take me for my low freshman year grades. The department of Chem Engineering took a flier on me and I loved it. Mostly oil companies recruited Chem Engineering (other than Procter and Gamble that wanted me to work at their diaper factory). So I ended up as an engineer in the oil company right out of school.
6. Why do you like working with Start-Ups?
Despite feeling like the oldest person in the room, I love working with start-up founders and their teams because they put everything on the line to drive their innovations. They are looking to improve the world in some way but face so many challenges and feel like they are often alone, so I like to do what I can to help and support start-ups. Plus, I learn a shit-ton every day – it’s a two way learning!
Okay, now for some fun things about Sanjay…
7. What are three of your interests outside of work?
I used to love downhill skiing but alas I had an accident about 10 years ago that has taken me off the slopes. So to satisfy my need for speed, I fly drones partly to see them buzz around at 50 mph but also to capture cool pictures.
My puppy, Bernie
8. What are your top 3 accomplishments (personal or professional)? Don’t be shy! Give ‘em to us.
Running the Chicago Marathon and not being last place.
Winning the State Science Fair in the 8th grade for a way to reduce noise pollution around neighborhoods.
Working with many at FMC Technologies to help bring new solutions to customers.
9. If I were a superhero, my superpower would be .
to understand why BitCoin is over $50,000!
10. When I was 5, I was pretty sure I'd be a when I grew up.
commercial airline pilot
11. If I weren't so damn good at what I do now, I'd probably be .
a perpetual marathon runner
12. My favorite song is by .
"Where The Streets Have No Name" by U2.
13. If I won the lottery tomorrow, I'd .
start a Tahitian-based company
14. The best piece of advice I've ever been given is .
stick to your values and never cave